St John’s is an Anglican catholic church with a clearly affirming and inclusive approach. The church is located in St John’s Street, in the town centre of Bury St Edmunds, and was built in 1841.
We have a wide mixture of ages and backgrounds and seek to be a welcoming and friendly community. Our main Sunday service is the Parish Mass at 11.00am, Music is enhanced by the recently restored organ and an accomplished organist. Laying on of hands and anointing for healing is available at the end of the service on the 3rd Sunday of the month. There is a team of servers and incense is used on Sundays and major festivals.
A range of other services takes place throughout the week, including Eucharists on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Children can receive Holy Communion before confirmation, after proper preparation.
The sacrament is reserved and the church is open every day for those who want time and space to pray and think.
Iain McKillop’s acclaimed Stations of the Cross were dedicated in 2008 and are used in worship during Lent. We have links with Affirming Catholicism and Inclusive Church and there is a Cell of The Shrine of Our Lady at Walsingham.